Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Rage.

Jamie Goldstein
Writing II
Prompt 4

“For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.”
That’s not a bad thing. Anger is necessary. If I choose to enact my wrath on someone, it is irrelevant whether or not I am “missing out” on happiness. I’m not quick to anger, but I would warn against it. I’ve been toyed with and lied to, I’ve been neglected and dismissed. I don’t know anyone who has done that and not regretted it. I’m not the best speaker, but I swear to fucking God I will incinerate your soul with my words if you test me. Anger me, and I will bring the weight of my universe down on your shoulders like a hammer-strike from heaven. I won’t be gentle, I won’t hold back. I will let loose a torrent of rage that will tear your very fabric apart.
Happiness. Well fuck that. That’s probably impossible. We can’t be happy. We can be content with some sort of superficial and not-entirely-unpleasant misery, but we won’t be happy. Happiness is lasting. Happiness is real and it’s an outlook on life. You know, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’m just too fucking angry right now to think straight but fuck that. If you’re happy, well great, but keep it to yourself. The rest of us are far too busy being angry and miserable to give you the smug satisfaction of indulging in your idiotic mirage.
No I’m not happy. Of course I’d like to be. I try to, anyway. And maybe I am missing out on something when I get like this. Maybe I am missing out on some amazing, indescribable feeling of closeness and unity and fucking happiness, but I don’t give a shit. That’s your emotion. That’s your feeling. That’s your outlook on life and that’s dandy, but it sure as hell ain’t mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment