Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I guess I have the good life

Andrew Trudeau
"You want the good life? Live where people live, go to school where white people go to school and shop where white people shop."


I guess I have the good life. I live where white people live, I go to school where white people go to school, and I shop where white people shop. I am a white person. It was never my conscious decision to go to all of these places, it was my parents’. But even they did not consider this thought when making the decision. The town of Concord, Massachusetts is as white as it gets. The revolutionary war began in Concord and ever since then it has been a pretty consistent population of mostly white people. When my parents were deciding where to buy a house, they did not realize “oh, Concord is so white, in order to have the good life we have to go there”. Instead, it was probably because my mother grew up in Concord and it has a good education system. So are they criminals for continuing the stereotype? No, they just live somewhere with mostly white people around them. If this is what gives them the good life, then so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment