Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"Be peaceful. Be courteous. Obey the law. But if someone puts his hands on you, send them to their grave." - Malcolm X

Be peaceful. Be courteous. Obey the law. And if someone puts his hands on you, turn and give him your other cheek. This is what Christ says to his disciples. This is what I’m taught and convicted to obey because of my Christian faith. But of course I am human, and I hate and desire violence towards anyone who hurts me or my loved ones. Many times I thought Jesus was unjust. I thought he was being hypocritical. If God can send people to hell, then why can’t I “send them to their graves” too, like Malcolm X suggests? 
But every time I am in a conflict, I realize that I’m also wounded each time. The only way to heal the scars is to forgive people, and myself especially. Forgiveness is something that’s not logical. I guess it’s something of a spiritual act. Revenge is easy, but it’s also the easiest way to dig another grave: your own.

By Jesamine Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment