Tuesday, February 24, 2015

"Hey Mama"- Kanye West

I call my mom "mama" as well. She does not let my sisters and I call her mother or mom. I have come up with a solution to this. Instead of calling her mommy as I got older, I started to compile a list of different versions of the word mom. I call her mama the most, especially recently. I call her meemaw as a joke sometimes. My all time favorite is mum.

I have always wondered why she does not want us to call her mom. She calls her own mother mom. Perhaps it is a way to keep us as children and not fully grown up adults. Perhaps she finds mother to rigid and mom is too similar to calling her by her first name.

I wonder when that switch occurs. At what age do children begin to call their parents mom and dad? 18? 10, when they might begin to become embarrassed by them? At least that is not something I have to worry about.

I do not wish to call her mom. I would not mind using mother every once in a while, but not seriously. I am happy having mama and mum in my arsenal of names.

-Scout

No comments:

Post a Comment