Thursday, February 5, 2015

All Stories Are True

Wideman says "all stories are true."  All stories are true not neccesarily in fact or in their accuracy, but they all, in their simplest form, come from a place of truth.  They come into a writer's head because they are from his or her life experience in some way or another.  By this I mean, they reflect a part of the writer's consciousness, something he or she must put on the page or into the world as I means to make sense of it.  Does this suggest that all imagination is rooted in reality, in truth.  Do we ever really make things up?  Or, are all of our thoughts based in reality.  I see the possibility of Wideman's idea.  It seems plausible, that even as imaginative as I think my thoughts are, they are in actuality, just the outcome of many experiences in my reality.  My thoughts are just fragments of my truth, and I have never made something up plainly out of creativity.  I have heard that we cannot make up faces in our dreams, rather they all belong to people we have actually seen.  I see this as an extension of Wideman's claim.

Sophie Maes

No comments:

Post a Comment