Monday, February 13, 2012

“Who being loved is poor?” Oscar Wilde

I try to think of a person that would fit this description, a person that is poor and loved by someone. Wilde is implying that this person simply doesn’t exist. If I were to ask a homeless man on the street if he considered himself poor I think he would say yes. If I asked him why I doubt he would reply because no one loves me. People tend to consider poor as the definition of not having money mostly above anything else. Food, clothing, or all the other stuff follows. Wilde can say that poor can just mean lack of something. If you lack love than you are poor by logic. Now that Valentine’s Day is hours away I can’t help but notice yet another holiday filled with gift exchange and consumption of everything chocolate. If I make you a card instead of buy you one does that make me poor or make me love stronger? No it still makes you poor but honestly who doesn’t have enough money to buy a stupid card. Love can’t keep you warm, love doesn’t keep your stomach full, love doesn’t make you who you are. But now that I think of it I guess it does in a way.
-Katherine J

1 comment: