Wednesday, February 8, 2017


 

Passed Down Through the Generations

              I want to know who said this and why this person needed to give an explanation about his family’s background. Did his grandfather’s actions come back to haunt this person? Usually, when it comes to the Civil War, everyone had a side, but the grandfather didn’t. The line that impacted me the most was the last one where he says, “He didn’t see anything wrong with it, and I guess I didn’t either.” I’m not sure if it was placed strategically at the end or if it was just coincidence. But it made me kind of sad. Those words lingered in my mind as I started typing.

The Civil War was fought over the issue of slavery, so it’s a good thing that he went from fighting for the South to fighting for the North. But the reason for that is troubling. If the grandfather started out with the South, it must mean that he was pro-slavery. Yes, he ended up fighting against them, but I can’t help but think about this person’s morals. It just seems like the grandfather only cares about himself because he didn’t want to be on the losing side. He probably didn’t do it from some noble sentiment instilled in him to free those who were seen as less valuable than other people.

The values of parents are passed down to their children. I guess this explains why the speaker and his father do not see what’s wrong with what the grandfather did. It made me think about how children are affected to some degree by their parents, whether it’s good or bad.

-SG

No comments:

Post a Comment