Sunday, February 26, 2017

Indians

Ah, the American Indians. How often have I confused the word 'Indian' to be referring to Indian Indians and not the American Indians? Countless times. I still get confused on some occasions. Just as I am confused about this quote. I don't know what to think about it. I think it is because I don't know as much about the history of the Native Americans. I know that White people came and screwed them over, but that's about it. Nor do I relate to them in any way. I mean sure, White people screwed India over too, but the only way I've ever seen Native Americans is as namesakes of the Real Indians. So I beg the question - to sympathise with someone else's history, does one need to relate to it/them? If that were the case then no one would get butthurt about Holocaust jokes. Or jokes about natural calamities, or any war. Or anything related to human tragedy whatsoever. We would be free to joke about anything and everything. The world would be a happier and funnier place.What if no one felt anger? What if humans never had a sense of possession? Would we still have America?

- raj

No comments:

Post a Comment