Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thank God?


Jamie Goldstein
Writing II
Prompt 15

“I keep hearing ‘Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.’ Well, if we are being like that, actually, it’s the bullets that kill people. In the meantime, if in fact people kill people, should we just get rid of all the people to save the guns???” –Lakietha Elliot

Thank God, my loved ones are safe. I’m from Boston, so yesterday’s news hit close to home. My mom called me, saying that my brother, who was watching the marathon, was nowhere near the attack. I called Dani and Mikhael, my two best friends from home; They were both safe. Dani was at home, and Mikhael was in school, in lockdown. I told them both to keep me posted, but I haven’t heard from them since. I called Eugene, who was still on the bus going back to Boston. Had it not been for the fact that he was visiting me over the weekend, would have been right where the blast had occurred. I called Beatrice, my ex-girlfriend. She was safe, but had been at the attack-site an hour prior to the explosions. She was in hysterics, not that I blame her, but she told me she’d call me when she had calmed down. She never did, but that’s what I expected. 
It’s weird, saying thank God. I said it a million times yesterday. I mean, what am I saying, "thank God?" Thank you God that these people, my family and loved ones, weren’t caught in the blast? That someone else took there place? I can’t thank God for that. I have one thing to be thankful for: My world wasn’t impacted by this attack. That’s it. I’m thankful, but I’m also at a loss. So I guess thank God for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment