Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Guns or People


4/16/13
“I keep hearing “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” well, if we are being like that it’s the bullets that kill people. In the meantime, if in fact people kill people, should we just get rid of all the people to save the guns???” – Lakietha Elliot

I guess this is in light of the bombing at the Boston marathon yesterday, which is devastating but I’d rather not. I think its both the guns and the people together that kill people. That makes sense right? I mean without the people the gun wouldn’t randomly spew venomous bullets into innocent humans’ chest and without the gun people wouldn’t kill. That thought is a little whittled down because there are a hundred ways people could kill people without guns. They could use knives, they could use their bare hands and they could use bombs. But at least the first part is more or less accurate. Guns are inanimate; they don’t shoot for themselves. If a gun was lying on a table, it’s not going to get up and shoot you. Someone has to operate it. I also think the guns are a bit to blame, they are a temptation and they make it all too easy to kill someone and then the murder rates are sky-high. It’s easy to acquire one, it’s easy to load one and it’s easy to fire one. Or so I assume because I’ve never had to do any of the above. But yeah that’s my view as wary as it sounds. You can’t pin the blame on one thing entirely, but each has a role to play. It just could all be avoided. I don’t like when these things happen because the first thing that enters my mind is I’m glad that wasn’t me or I wasn’t there. Completely selfish I know, but at least I’m honest.

-KB 

No comments:

Post a Comment