Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world"

This quote makes me think about how my mother always said Spanish would be useful to me in the future. As it well has been. Being bilingual opened many doors for me even from when I was younger. However, this quote does not only refer to the number of languages you speak. Speaking only one language does not make you dumb. If you limit your language, you are taking away opportunities from yourself that you will probably need in the future. Soon you will regret that you gave up those opportunities when they could have given you the chance to do greater things. If you speak slang with your friends and you go for a job interview and say, "Yo my name is Chris," you have just taken that opportunity from yourself. Limiting yourself by using language as if  you were in the hood. We need to speak properly if we want to be taken seriously.Even when we are not speaking, to be taken seriously in writing is just as important. If someone does not know you and they are reading an email from you and it is not well written, that can jeopardize how that person views you.
If you choose not to expand your language, use a broader vocabulary, or just speak properly it can close many doors for you and leave you right where you started. The way you present yourself means everything today. If you have fancy clothes but no knowledge to match, no one is going to care what you say. 
There is a big difference between "Yeah" and "Yes Sir."
-Melanie Ginel

No comments:

Post a Comment