Monday, July 15, 2013

What It Means To Say ______

"This is what it means to say home." I don't feel like I'm part of a specific neighborhood or city. I've never felt like I belonged there. To me, when people ask me where I'm "from" they just mean the place I sleep and eat everyday. That's not a definition I'm satisfied with. To me, what "home" really means is where you're comfortable, where you feel like you fit in, and can connect with those around you. The place I live has never really been that for me. When people ask me where I'm from, I'm never sure what to say. It sounds a bit ridiculous to most people, I'm sure, but if you're not comfortable with something you wouldn't represent it or shout it from the rooftops would you? Where I'm literally from and the place I live is Maspeth, the middle of nowhere. Sure, I've lived here my entire life but I still don't see it as my home. I can't wait to get away and be in a place I truly love. People usually say "home is where the heart is", you can see that pretty much anywhere, but to me, my heart just isn't where I was born. My heart is more in the things I love and care for the most and I'd much rather say that than "I'm from Maspeth."

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment