Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fame is the thirst of youth.

Growing up on a farm in a middle class family, protected by private schools and the later on boarding-school, life seemed pretty normal. My family was typically German; very strict when it came to school and good manners at home. My parents also made sure that we attended piano lessons, horseback riding lessons, tennis and golf; they also taught us the card game Bridge, so we would grow up with a busy schedule and become well rounded adults. I keep on saying “we”, because I am a twin.

Everything changed in the summer of 1999. My father dropped me off in New York City, where I would spend the whole summer. Who knew this would change my life forever. The first couple of weeks I would roam the streets in awe of all the sights and met many interesting people. As I strolling in the streets of Manhattan, random people would ask if I had an agent. I was a Basketball player at the time, so I automatically assumed a sports agent and just ignored the question.

It was close to the end of the summer, when a photographer approached me and pleaded to take a picture of me. From that one experience within one week I had a photo-shoot with one of the best-known photographers in the fashion industry, and signed to a top world-wide modeling agency; they whisked me off on a plane to Milan and then Paris to walk the catwalk at the respective Spring Fashion Weeks.

I never went back home; the next few years my life consisted of that one suitcase I left from home with. It ended up being my companion travelling the world as a fashion model. Never having a thirst for fame made me succeed in the world of fashion modeling.


C

June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment