Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween Rant on Milo's Controversy


“What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.” - Salman Rushdie


Mr. Rushdie is right. Even as a human who hates ignorants, I have to admit that even ignorants are allowed to speak. I mean look at the political state of the country. Now, whether I or any person in power choose to take action based on that ignorant form of expression is a whole different story. Now I don't know whether professor Jackson chose this prompt because of what’s going on with Milo but I think this is too much coverage for a troll. I don’t want to dismiss what Milo has done, but I also refuse to give him the attention he’s already gained. In simple terms, I think he should be allowed to talk wherever and whenever and especially if a professor of NYU is the one who chooses to do what he wants in his classroom. In terms of politics and media, he’s just gotten too much attention. Last night I got an email with email and phone templates to flood Dean Mostov and President Hamilton’s inbox but that’s just too much. Professors are gathering to see how they can prevent Milo’s coming. Even effing De Blasio takes a moment to take care of Milo. As if De Blasio does not have a segregated public school system to take work with. De Blasio cares more about Milo’s safety than the fucking public school system.



Dulce Michelle Marquez

No comments:

Post a Comment