Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Journal_2/12/2018_An Honorable Portrait Gone Bad?

I am unsure of how I could interpret this image of Obama sitting in, what could be, a room full of flowers. Although many would say a picture is worth a thousand words, this picture, in particular, is quite hard to put into words. I suppose I could focus on how President Obama presents himself within his seat. I could also describe my thoughts on the background. (I think the flowers are pretty to look at.) But, perhaps, I should just write whatever first comes to my mind.

President Obama has always struck me as an extremely confident and poised individual. He is also very influential and has brought hope to many young African Americans with a dream. However, to see him portrayed as he was, and placed in a background of flowers, has made me think of this portrait as disrespectful. I feel as though this portrait was presented to make fun of him as I immediately heard everyone begin to laugh upon presentation in class. It also led me to think, if whether or not, any other president was portrayed in this light. I have to admit that I also laughed myself. I hope that laughter was not behind the artist’s intention.

After receiving information about the artist responsible for this picture, I began to give the artist a pass. I gave the popular artist a pass solely because he was African American like myself. However, when I got home from class, I took the pass back since, at the end of the day, I am not a clout chaser.  I had to research the meaning behind this photo. I couldn’t get pass the cartoon like image of, what looks like, an older version of Obama. Or the chair that was too small for a 6’1 tall man. I was trying to understand why the artist feminized this powerful man, former leader of the "free world" who has a wife and two kids.

I learned that the flowers represented Hawaii, Chicago, and Africa. Unfortunately, even after learning this, I still think this picture didn’t do Obama (THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN U.S. PRESIDENT) any justice. Why couldn’t Obama be on a huge thrown? I understand that an artist’s execution and creativity is not something for someone else to control. However, there are certain things in life where the bigger picture must take the forefront and maybe this is where direction is necessary. Although the artist is known for placing men in a background of flowers, I also saw this artist portray other individuals in royal like images. It seems as though the artist was more concerned with presenting himself in a good light rather than ensuring that the most powerful black representative was seen with respect. This individualistic, "look at me" mentality has to stop within our culture.

-RA 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment