Monday, December 11, 2017

Wildfire

I think there are some really despicable people in the world, but the most despicable are the ones who "don't believe in climate change." That is active ignorance. I think those people know that climate change exists, they just don't care because it isn't visibly threatening to them right now. It is, though. I'm from Los Angeles, and there are some pretty massive wildfires happening there right now. I'm really freaked out. The winds have died down a bit, which is really good, but to see the place I grew up in flames is devastating. I keep seeing photos and videos on the news of the 405 - this one particular stretch I always drive on - it is being scorched. A ton of my friends families have been evacuated, and they are all getting calls from their families asking them what they want from their houses. My house and family are fine as of now. The fire is on the other side of the 405 from where I live. It's so scary watching that footage, though. I know a girl whose house burnt down. My sister was telling me about this barn that had to be evacuated, except they left the horses. 40 horses died. So crazy. Roads that I drive, trails that I hike, places I love - burning. It's even scarier that I'm not there and my family is. I feel remarkably helpless. There is nothing I can do. The last time I checked it was only 15% contained in LA. That's just LA. There are 4 fires in California right now. Maybe it's 3 now, I'm not sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment