Monday, May 9, 2016

Tom Wolfe Video - The lesson he taught without meaning to

My first thought was, "What a snazzy white suit." Now that I know Tom Wolfe is known for wearing one often, he shall be, to me: Tom Wolfe, Writer in White Suit. Just as Hemingway is: The Grouchy Blunt One. Usually when watching videos, it is easier to talk more, because there are visual details that can be added. However, in his interview, it was Wolfe's words that truly caught my attention. Particularly his reasons for becoming a writer. From what I understood, the desire to be a writer comes from three main things: Passion, Purpose, and Character. One must love writing to be able to dedicate themselves to doing it for a living. Wolfe said he found it magical. The next component, Purpose, is important because it is what connects writer to reader. What am I writing about? Readers want to know. Finally, character. That is what keeps the reader connected to the writer. Keeps them interested. Makes a writer's name something that sticks to a reader's mind. Passion. Purpose. Character. And a snazzy white suit...I don't know....

-jekoli

No comments:

Post a Comment