Monday, February 1, 2016

Heartfelt Confessions

"Nothing is quite so false in writing, as the heartfelt confession." Could this be true? I feel like writing is the one way for me to express what is really inside me without the pressure of saying it in a timely manner. I can write and articulate and pinpoint exactly what I feel so that it is clear to others. Many of my heartfelt confessions to my loved ones come in the form of letters. Writing, by nature, allows for the writer to precisely adjust his or her words to get an exact communication of what he or she is thinking.

But maybe it is false. Maybe writing gives us the ability to construct such a fiction of who we are. Our "heartfelt confessions" that we put down in writing are us trying to make sense of our emotions, according to how we want to present ourselves to the world, and to ourselves. Maybe truth lies in the way we act and not what we construct.

Is Charles D'ambrosio suggesting that we live in an alternate reality, never being able to express what we really feel? I was thinking earlier today about this. If we could read each others' minds, many of society's problems would be solved. The knowledge of the smartest person in the world would be my starting point. We would all understand each others' motives and there would be no need for heartfelt confessions, because they would just be known. There would be only honesty, and little need for formal communication, as writing is.

But is writing a heartfelt confession inherently false? Or do we not even understand ourselves enough to communicate our heartfelt confessions accurately? I think honesty must be shown in many ways: through our everyday actions, as well as being formally articulated, strung together in a beautiful way, that more accurately explains our deepest emotions.

-McKenzie Tingey

No comments:

Post a Comment