Thursday, September 5, 2013

ABC

          My name is Linna Li and I am an ABC. You may read this and wonder, 'What exactly is an ABC? I didn't know three letters of the alphabet actually meant something'. Well, an ABC is an American Born Chinese, and for the first seventeen years of my life, I neglected the C. 
          For as long as I can remember, I always fantasized being 'American'. I felt a sense of belonging with the group of blonde-haired, blue-eyed people I called my classmates. I ate spaghetti and meatballs for dinner while the rest of my family ate rice and stir-fry. I walked around the house in my dirty shoes, ignoring the footprints staining the clean carpet. I dyed my repeatedly until no black strands were found. I called my elders by their first names instead of by their proper titles. The more I assimilated into the American culture, the less I appreciated my own. Together with my Chinese name, my Chinese culture became one big blur. 
          Yet, as I kept dying my hair, eating spaghetti and meatballs, and refusing to speak to my parents in Mandarin, I realized, what am I really accomplishing here? I tried so hard to forget about my culture, my background, my history, that I didn't realize how rude, how hurtful, and how disrespectful it was to ignore the hard work my parents devoted to get me where I am today.
          Today, I realize that my two cultures are like yin and yang, contrasting, yet complimentary.  I greet friends with a “Hey!” and wave my hand, while I address Chinese adults with “Ai-yi” or “Shu-shu” shaking their hands. Last summer, I started waitressing at my family’s favorite Chinese restaurant.  In November, my family celebrates Thanksgiving with a dinner table piled with turkey, yams, dumplings, and steamed buns. Of course, there is still a cultural barrier, but that cultural and communication barrier is what makes my family closer, as we must work harder to understand each other and ourselves. 
          I appreciate my parents.
          I appreciate my culture.
          I appreciate my background.
          I am Linna Li and I am an ABC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment