Monday, January 29, 2018

Journal 1/29/2018

Romantic love is mental illness. But it’s a pleasurable one. It’s a drug. It distorts reality, and that’s the point of it. It would be impossible to fall in love with someone that you really saw.
 -Fram Lebowitz 

This claim about love is somewhat irritating to me , however I do see truth in some of it. Love is like a drug, it can bring you extreme joy, and it can also bring you extreme pain. Love is a growing process and I believe that love’s point isn’t what Lebowitz, but its one of the many forms you can use to discover yourself and your place in the others around you, and society as a whole. You discover what you like and what you cant stand. Its a pathway to learn and grow. 

I think that her use of definite statement like love is mental illness can be true for some. It can be over powering and challenging. However love is many things to many different people. I don’t care for her negative tone towards love, as that is not the feeling I get when I hear the word love. The part of her statement I strongly disagree with is that it would be impossible to fall in love with someone you really saw. Love is falling in love with the whole part of another, the good and the bad, and accepting all of it. People are afraid of love because they are afraid to be themselves, but the love where you ate yourself is greater than any love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment