Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lexi Rotnicki

"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite."

I don't know enough about politics to have hard opinions on these things. I only know what I'm told.

My 11th grade Econ teacher taught me that capitalism was the best system. It's not perfect, but it works with what we have. It makes entrepreneurs happy. It allows for constant change–advancements–good things. Stagnation is bad. Tradition is bad. Money is good. Our bills are basically just slips of debt-paper that are only worth what we believe they mean, but we exchange dollars for goods anyways and it works. Capitalism works.

Babcia–my grandma– grew up in Soviet Poland. She used to sit down on the couch with me and tell me all about the old days. It was interesting. As a little girl, she worked on a farm. I guess they didn't have pesticides, because she had to pick ladybugs off of the crops all day. She told me that her supervisors insisted that the evil Americans dropped the bugs on the crops because they wanted to ruin the system. She believed it. She believed in her system. When she grew up, she said, she was given a card for her rations. She would wait in line all day at the grocery store for the food that wasn't there. She couldn't feed her family. Nobody could. It failed. For this and other reasons, she moved to America.

The first system sounds a bit like "USA All The Way" propaganda. The second system sounds like a dystopian nightmare.

People are always exploiting one another. That's life. It's not fair. Pick a side and get used to it. I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment