Tuesday, April 8, 2014


William Mixter

“There is no motivation higher than being a good writer.”

While Tom Wolfe may believe that there is no motivation higher than being a good writer, I do not. I had a personal interview yesterday with a friend for his psychology class, and he asked me one of the best questions I have heard in a while: “If you could chose 20 billion dollars and die at the age of thirty (but go absolutely nuts, do whatever you want) would you do it or would you instead live your life as it is now?” I thought about it for a while, and apparently I was one of the only few who responded with, “Yes, I’d take it.” My friend said most people don’t take it because they would live their lives never being able to make sustaining relationships; the thought of dying would always hang over there head; they would not be able to see their kids grow up. All of these points are valid, and all of these points I thought about before making my decision. However, 20 billion dollars cannot only change your life, but completely alter your family’s future, your kids future, their kid’s futures, and can be used to beneficial change the environment you are in. One of my biggest goals in life is to be able to give a portion of what my parents gave me back to them. 20 billion dollars is probably more than they were expecting, but imagine what that money could do for my brothers, their children, my cousins, research, charity, etc.? I asked my mom this question and she said 20 billion dollars is not worth losing a child, if you had children youd understand William. I fully agree with her because I do not understand, so if this offer ever became a reality then id have to make sure I would not have children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment