Friday, April 18, 2014

Masters Tournament

Marcus Garvey once said “When all else fails to mobilize the people, conditions will.” This is a true statement. People will fail to come together as a people until a certain condition exists. I am trying to think of a good example as I am sitting here writing, but I am failing to come up with something. Since the class just had a semi-heated discussion about Tiger Woods and LeBron James, the professor has me thinking about the Masters tournament that completed this last weekend. It was a great event and a great week. Watching the video really made me want to be there and I am definitely going back next year for a tournament round. The golf course is truly amazing. I love how the grass grows into the water and how it seems like every blade of grass is perfectly cut. I still remember standing in between holes eleven and twelve when I first got on the hallowed grounds and standing there for a half hour staring at the rolling fairways, ungulated putting greens, the Hogan bridge and ironically, not watching a single player hit a single shot while we were standing there. It was a special moment and a special day. I still remember making friends with an executive at IBM and him bringing us Johnnie Walker blue and cut in half crab legs and eating and drinking them on the left side of ten fairway. I also thought it was cool how they mowed the fairways. Most courses have one person in one mower, but at Augusta National they have twelve mowers going at the same time so they do one pass and cut the entire fairway. They also have a hanging tennis ball that is steady as can be to allow the driver to see how steadily they are driving.

~ Blake Famularo

No comments:

Post a Comment