Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I refuse to have such little faith in humanity

“The floor of the white man’s failures is the ceiling of the black man’s expectations.”

I’m not entirely sure how to approach this quote, though this certainly denotes that black men either have a very self-deprecating sense of humor or have very little confidence in themselves. It is unfortunate to think that the color of one’s skin could inhibit one from becoming the greatest he/she can become. Everyone has the same amount or odds of potential when we are all put on an equal playing field. I find this quote to be a very unfair and, frankly, unorthodox because I find such self-deprecation frightening. To think that blacks could or would think of themselves like this – even in a humorous context – shows the opposite of how far society has come. Contrary, I’d like to have more faith in humanity in saying that we HAVE come far. Of course, there are still problematic issues in our society that are in dire need of recognition, but I refuse to believe that this is one of them.

I refuse to have such little faith in humanity.

- Josie Raccuia

No comments:

Post a Comment