Sunday, May 9, 2010

Adding to the blog... for the first time! (Class prompt)

"You cannot borrow courage." -- ?
Well this presents an interesting visual. "Hey, can I have some courage?" "No." "Ok," you say, courage-less.
Courage. Hm. When have I ever been courageous in my life? Courage comes in all forms--courage is what moves you when you are out of your comfort zone. Courage, bravery, etc. are mental states and sometimes forms of adrenaline. Only you can decide to jump from the high-jump into the dark water, hold the tarantula, or enter the battlefield.
Before class today, Kyle showed his tattoos and Professor Jackson said, "You'll regret Elvira on your calf someday." Kyle responded neutrally, "No I won't. I live without regrets." Prof. J. says, "You've got courage." So what constitutes courage? How do you earn courage? Is it earnable? It's not borrowable, apparently. Or is courage just a built up resistance to your initial fear? In terms of the war, is every soldier courageous? What if they never feared war... Does that mean they're not courageous? Or are they naturally courageous--at least in the eyes of those who are frightened by it? Do you have to fear something, then overcome it in order to be courageous? Fear seems to be the most fitting opponent to courage. Thus, courage can't be borrowed because not everyone fears the same things in the same way.
Admittedly, all I feel like I can contribute to this quote is my nodding-head agreement and many questions I don't know the answer to.

No comments:

Post a Comment