Monday, January 30, 2017

Get Away and Come Back

There is something absolutely empowering about black and white photographs. I don't know what it is about them that I love, but I do. I find a significant amount of romanticism in the simplicity of black and white; and I know this because I stood all weekend, in bed watching black and white Audrey Hepburn, and Cary Grant, and Fitzgerald inspired films. I don’t know if its the raw quality or un-modernism of it all, but I can’t seem to get enough of it. 
I dont pretend to know what this photograph is about. All I do know is that in the midst of all this woman empowerment and marches and Trump chaos, this photo says a lot. I only see men. Not at all happy. Not at all interesting. But men. I don't know what exactly to write about this, what exactly to say. A writer, I suppose, does not need any context in order to write, because a good writer makes a context of their own. Now I don't know if its just me, but the winter time gives me the writer blues. I admit, I’ve had writers block. I have been relying solely on the given rather than the making, and in times like this, that isn't hard to do at all. It’s not hard to just go on by with the frenzy of media and twitter, and consume whats been given. The claims, the counterclaims, the ideas, the analyses. It isn't hard to just watch it all happen in front of you. Back then, it wasn't that simple. Everything was physical. Front and center. I suppose you had the pressures of human interaction to influence you into creating, too. Whether that was history, trouble, or in most cases, both. 

Anyways, in regards to the photo, I hate it. I don't know if it’s the hitler look a like in the back or if its the ugly Abraham Lincoln looking one in the front but its utterly soul-less and substance-less. The only thing I could focus on in hopes to correlate the beauty of black and white would be the luggage, being that they’re getting away or coming back. Two phenomena that I intend to fully engulf in. Its all a person could hope for in this world. To get away and come back.  

                                                           -Vanessa Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment