Monday, November 7, 2016

America's Futile Pursuit to... Nowhere Really



        Hillary Clinton and Queen B holding hands. With time pressing on us, given that Election Day is tomorrow, I’d just like to say how utterly unfortunate it is that this is our first year as voters, and we don't necessarily get to vote. Its unfortunate the way things turned out. “Vote for Bernie” we advocated. “Well, Nevermind I Guess, Vote for Hillary”
The elders are constantly saying that we must go out and vote. My mother, as a Dominican who isn’t exactly aware of how rigged politics are, literally went on and on and on about how great this country is and how we need to go out and vote. It is sad that we have to tell the American people to vote. Its sad that we just don't want to anymore. Its sad that I need to vote, not to choose who I want, but so that the wrong person isn’t elected into office. Its sad that we’ve let it come this far.
In terms of “The Futile Pursuit of Happiness” so eloquently written, I find it hard to see any reward to emotional reactions after tomorrow. Take Beyonce and Jay, for example. This image is obvious. The idols of the youth who have so much influence over what we hear, what we think, what we wear and do, are sponsoring a woman not because they genuinely  believe she's a good person, like they do the Obamas, but simply because of her party. In regards to this election, I don't have much to say. Never was interested in politics at all. Not until Scandal, at least. But Shonda Rhimes has a point. It isn't about woman, or democracy, or the Republic. Its about optics and image. 
Being President isn't what it used to be. It used to be about advocacy and genuinity.  Now its about whose campaign digs the most dirt on the next. Who has the least skeletons in their closet. It is all a game for government.
        I am not voting. Not because I think that I’ll be happier by being stubborn. But because I don't care who endorses this woman. I don't care what charges were dropped against her. I don't care that she’s more humane than Trump. Good is not good because it isn’t bad but because there is a genuine foundation creating it; the possibility of greatness. 

- Vanessa Hernandez (vh648@nyu.edu)

No comments:

Post a Comment