Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Life Journey

Jillamika Pongsachai
9/16/14

Prompt: "I make the road, I draw the map. Nothing just happens to me. I'm the one happening." - Denis Johnson

This statement reminds me of the phrase "taking initiative." It seems that Johnson is the one starting to act or taking initiative. He makes the road and draws the map. He is the one making everything happen. The sentences "Nothing just happens to me. I'm the one happening" indicate that Johnson believes that since he is the one taking action, he should accept its consequences. "Nothing just happens to me" means that there is no external force or supernatural being that causes something to occur. You, yourself, alone is the one who begins a doing that leads to a certain result. And if you want to achieve something, you must begin the act yourself and work toward your goal while remembering to take responsible of what will follow. The words "road" and "map" suggest an adventure. When he makes this statement, Johnson might be saying that there are many journeys in life and if people desire to find a new interest or improve themselves, they have to take off. They must get off from their comfort zone and go on a new, different path even though they might not know what lies ahead of them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment