Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Facebook serves our egos.


The quote holds truth because social networking sites have to tap in and appeal in some manner. The seven deadly sins are the perfect leeway because their temptations are hard to resist for people. I don’t know much about Zynga or LinkedIn, but I do agree that Facebook allows people to be egotistical. I think we’re in a day and age where proof matters. You can boast about your seven Ferraris, but no one will believe you if you can’t prove it with a photograph. Where else do you post these pictures? Facebook. And even as proof matters, having some humility matters, too, so it’s hard for us to brag face to face. Facebook serves as the perfect platform to post pictures of our seven cars because it’s the whole point of Facebook. We’ve attached a norm to social networking sites, especially Facebook. The norm being that we post about our accomplishments because we want “distant relatives” to know what’s going on. The truth is we could easily pick up the phone and give them a call, but a part of us wants our Facebook friends to know what we’ve accomplished so we use the site as a platform to brag without really bragging.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I know I will never know who you are, but I just want to say that I really understand your blog! I reason with it because I deleted social media a while ago not only because I compare myself to others, because I want to understand myself. I do realize now how human it was of me to want to share my successes and how hard it was to not do so on Instagram. Now there's Snapchat, and I have never and have no intention in ever getting it. Not to say that people are wrong in wanting to share, it's just that you are right. We do it so that we have a way to share what we want others to not just appreciate but perhaps even feel jealous.

    ReplyDelete