Thursday, September 22, 2011

"I love Los Angeles. I love Hollywood. They're beautiful. Everybody's plastic, but I love plastic. I want to be plastic." -Andy Warhol

Andy Warhol is right. I normally find him to be an arrogant prick--but he's right! Plasticity does have a massive appeal. People who are beautiful and empty have way fewer problems than real people, flesh people, who worry about their job, education, the economy, food, shelter, etc. Beautiful people are made to be plastic and entertain the suffering. Although there have been a few beautiful people who are not plastic, who actually have emotion, compassion, and dignity.

Kurt Vonnegut once wrote, "How nice, to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." THis is what Warhol wants. To a degree, this is what I want. To not have to worry, feel sadness, feel anything--what a novel idea! But i'm not plastic. And neither was Warhol. And neither was his gal bladder which later killed him. We were meant to only catch glimpses of the fleeting plastic toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment